Thursday, February 21, 2013

Not a Hobby But a Business

My husband simplifies what I do by saying that I rearrange letters. While that is exactly what I do, writing is much more than that. It requires a talent for describing the action in such a way that readers can see in their mind what the author sees when she writes the words.


Writing can deliver a message subliminally. It can help a reader escape life's frustrations even though, as a writer of plausible fiction, I take them into a world with lots of problems and frustrations. Maybe I make their life seem simple after reading about the horrendous things that happen to my characters.


When I write non-fiction, the teacher in me pops out as I strive to help my reader see a change needed and adopt that change into their life. Readers of the devotional series have the opportunity to view a concept, a biblical concept, from a different Point of View. It gives them something to think about, to meditate on.


So while I know that the business aspects are important, sitting in front of my computer with my characters is where I want to be. Keeping track of expenses on a spreadsheet is important. Developing a social media presence is important. Booking events to showcase your work is important. Dangling the carrot before potential readers is important. Getting your name out there is important but all any writer wants to do is write.


We could hire a business manager and if we're E.L James, who just received a $5 million movie contract for her book, we could afford to do so. However, the majority of us are far from selling enough to be able to afford that position. The business aspects have to become a portion of our daily routine, the moments when we come out of our shell and meet people, even if it is over the internet or phone lines. Think of it as joining the world.


For all you readers out there, take a moment to add a review of the books you read to the amazon pages for that book. Or wherever else you made your purchase. You may have purchased the book in a bookstore but they all have websites and will welcome your review. Even if you borrowed the book, post a review. Authors depend on that feedback.


At the end of the day, support your local author. Help them succeed and they will be most appreciative.


Watching the expressions on the faces of her readers is what drives author and speaker, Barbara Ann Derksen to write. Her favorite genre is murder mystery but each book brings forth characters who rely on God as they solve the puzzle in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment