Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Top 10 Motivational Books That Work

I am a firm believer that readers are leaders, but I am also a true advocate of reading to enrich the quality of your life. Every time I need answers (and I usually want them right away) I turn to my favorite website, Amazon and go on a shopping free. I buy my books in bulk and I do my research. I want to have a library of books that I will turn to time and time again, read over and over again, because I know that who I am today may shift slightly as I grow older. As we grow we are able to see something in the words on a page differently than if we read those same words in our teens, twenties, and so on. So here are my current favorite TOP 10 Motivational Books and some of them might surprise you!

1) Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill

Napoleon Hill wrote this book over a lifetime of studying the ins and outs of Dale Carnegie's (one of the richest men in the world) success back in the early turn of the century. While the copyright for this book is 1960, dont' be fooled into thinking this book might be out of date. Mr. Hill was a true philosopher who studied how true wealth is achieved and boy did he succeed. Some of the principles include: how to make great decisions, have faith, and owning your sixth sense. I must admit one of the most profound lessons for me in this book was to THINK like a rich person. The next time you are making a big decision ask yourself "How would a rich person handle this?"

2) Domino: The Book of Decorating, by Deborah Needleman, Sara Ruffin Costello, & Dara Caponigro

So how can a book on home decor motivate you? The purpose of motivation is to inspire you to make changes in your life and what better place to start making changes than the comfort of your own home. I am a true advocate of feng shui and surrounding myself with beauty. This book captures beauty on a plane that is jovial, sophisticated, and artful. I never get sick of the eye candy presented in this how-to book; the pages are laid out immaculately and it makes the perfect coffee table book for your guests to enjoy in your fabulous home. You'll love the Mix & Match sections to help bring out the interior designer in you! Your home should represent who you are, invite new chi (energy) into your life, and become a place of socializing and entertaining.

3) The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks

Learn the real reasons you aren't where you want to be in your life with this eye-opening, easy read on how to take the big leap! When you can see how YOU are getting in your own way, you can finally get out of the way and get going. Gay Hendricks is a brilliant writer conveying ideas like the Zone of Excellence and the Zone of Genius which are great theories in how to invest your time wisely on things that truly matter to you, instead of plugging your ears to hearing only what you want to hear-- let the truth be heard and let it guide you. Limiting beliefs and worry are two ways your life choices stunt the growing processes. To take the Big Leap is to take baby steps, just take a step! Success is sequential; it doesn't happen overnight, but it will happen. Getting started is probably the #1 thing people struggle with and with this book Gay will spit it out clear and concise that the only person holding you back is YOU.

4) The Tools by Phil Stutz and Barry Michels

Within the first few chapters, I was hooked on this book. This book gives you amazing tools in how to stay focused by turning your problems into creativity. "Pain is the universe's way of demanding that you continue to learn." That quote blew my mind! The authors of this book discuss one of my favorite concepts "the shadow" and how pertinent it is to be aware that you have one and what information it is trying to convey. If you are looking for real-life tools that you can put into practice to begin transforming your life today, this book belongs in your library. It's must cheaper than conventional cognitive therapy; it's worth the small investment! Who needs a therapist when you can have a book that gives you the real tools to change instead of an expensive ear to listen (and occasionally asks you questions that might spark motivation.)

5) The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz, PHD

Similar to Think and Grow Rich, this incredible book puts the magic into everyday living. From learning to really listen instead of being a conversation hog, to getting in the habit of making goals to help you grow, you are sure to come out a leader after reading The Magic of Thinking Big. Forget excuses or worrying about things that are out of your control are excellent words of wisdom by David Schwartz. This is a book I continue to pick up year after year (I've owned the book for 10 years) and you'll always be reminded to think and dream creatively for a bright and successful future. I mean, after all, I don't believe we were brought to this planet to think small... thinking Big is truly an art form.

6) Hue by Kelly Wearstler

Did you know that color has healing properties? Chromotherapy, color therapy, is the study of color and their association with the 7 chakras (according to Ayurvedic Medicine). I don't know if Kelly knows much about this healing modality, but her book Hue pretty much blew my mind. The insightful interview with her published in the beginning of the book shows her knowledge in the power of color and what an amazing artist she truly is. Color affects people, sets the mood, and is the ultimate challenge in creativity. Flipping through this colorful and well-photographed interior design book reminded me how powerful the home can be with the presence of two hues that complement each other or those that contrast. This book will reawaken the artist in you and help you see where your true colors live.

7) How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Being a people person is easier than you think after reading Dale's memoir on how to win friends. It takes you back the basics to what it means to be personable. Things like learning how to be a good listener, how to avoid arguments, how to make a good first impression, and being authentic by talking about your mistakes first are recipes for successful relationships. I don't know if Dale Carnegie was a master in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), but he sure knows how to convince you that being liked is simple with a few easy tools. If you are looking to grow your business, network like a hero, or make better quality friends, this is the perfect read.

8) What's Stopping You by Robert Kelsey

This is probably the #1 book I recommend to my clients in that most of the people I work with are truly gifted people. The only thing standing between you and your dreams is FEAR. I picked up this book at the London airport on the way back from my Italian vacation and I must admit this was the best impulse buy. I was already on a reading frenzy to unlock what was standing in my way, but it wasn't until I read What's Stopping You that I realized I was gifted and that my problem was I was afraid to fail. You see, everyone has gifts, but only some people succeed to take their talents to the next level. Well, according to Robert Kelsey, the gifted ones have one thing in common... high FF (which stands for High Fear of Failure.) He suggests defining goals, but better yet, defining the right goal. Once we understand that depression, anger, or worry are simply fear of failure tactics, we can move on and get on with the show.

9) The Element by Ken Robinson PHD

Whether you want to call it your life purpose, dharma, or finding your passion, The Element is a must read for anyone living on this planet. Chapters about finding your tribe, getting in the Zone, and being yourself are hugely important when pursuing your dreams. I have often found myself in the Zone and it's a place I want to live--it's so magical! Time passes so quickly because you are doing what you love. I have basically based my entire business on the fact that everyone needs a mentor (I have half a dozen mentors myself) because learning from leaders who were once sitting right where you are now and found their way is inspirational and gives hope that you, too, can achieve it. Finding your element will change your life indefinitely. Start with this book.

10) Free Marketing by Jim Cockrum

And after all those terrific books, there is a wonderful book on Free Marketing. Why do I love it? When you have discovered your passion, found your tribe, opened up your space to receive abundance it's time to market the crap out of your talents. What better way to do that than with free marketing? There isn't and that's why you must own this book! Jim Cockrum is an amazing marketer and the thing I love most about his tactics is most of them are online. The ability to reach your audience online is astounding. The internet is growing every day and there are people on the world wide web who are searching for solutions to their problems this very second. Several of them are looking for answers that YOU have. Choosing to ignore social media or not having a website or blog that showcases who you are and what you do is just passe. Growing an online presence is easier than you think and with all these books you've read to get where you are now, it's time to share them with the rest of the world.

Angel Quintana, C.N.C., H.H.P., holistic lifestyle mentor. To learn more about her products/services visit http://www.houseofvitalia.com/ and to join her community to start living a holistic lifestyle and to receive her free CD: The Infinite Possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment